We just received word that our Home Study was completed and approved. This is a huge milestone! We have been working on our Home Study since August 2013.
Next Step: Apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to be deemed suitable to adopt, then wait 2-3 months!
Technically the application form is the I-800a or the “Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Convention Child.” A “Convention Child” is a child from a Hague Convention country. A Hague Convention country is one that has signed the The Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-Operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption, but I won’t get started on that right now.
With our Home Study complete we can also apply for grants, and hopefully set up an account to allow people to donate money tax-free if they are so inclined.
More to come, thanks for being on this journey with us.
We are nearing the end of our Home Study (the first step in our adoption journey). Actually it is a lot of steps. I have attached a list of our Home Study steps below.
- Fee Agreement
- Statement of Understanding
- Duty to Disclose Agreement
- Release of Information
- Client Information Form
- Consent for Services
- Self Study Questionnaire
- Release of Information/Child and Adult Protective Service Requests
- Fingerprinting/Criminal Checks
- Criminal History Release for Local Criminal Checks
- 1040 Tax Return
- Financial Statement
- Monthly Budget
- Mortgage or Rental Letter Confirming Good Standing
- Verification of Life Insurance
- Employer Reference Request
- General Physical Examination Form (each Potential Adoptive Parent)
- Child’s Health Form (each child)
- Verification of Health Insurance
- Marriage License
- Birth Certificate (each Potential Adoptive Parent and all children in home)
- Three Personal Reference Requests
- Firearms and /or Weapons Statement
- Verification of Training attended
- Prior Home Study Information
- Statement of Guardianship
It could be done as soon as next week. As soon as we have that done, we will begin applying for grants. (Just a note for those considering adoption, people survive this process all the time.) More to come, thank you for praying.